What is raw cuisine? Many define it as a healthy lifestyle with a philosophy based on the search for tranquillity. It’s had many different names over the years: Slow food, living food, live cuisine, sunfood cuisine, etc.
This “diet” is based on eating raw and mostly organic foods. That’s why this new culinary trend is said to be more connected with nature. How is it achieved? Respecting the natural properties of food and reducing the consumption of processed products. For example, fruits, vegetables, seeds and sprouted grains.
Many of you may be wondering what the goal of a raw lifestyle is. The goal is to achieve and increase physical and emotional well-being through healthy eating.
As mentioned previously, the raw movement leans more towards cold or unheated food, as the name suggests. By keeping food in its purest state, we don’t lose any of its rejuvenating properties nor its many vitamins and minerals. It should be noted that those who follow this diet say that it improves digestion and gives them more energy.
Would you like to give this new lifestyle a try but don’t know where to start? We would recommend this simple, raw, unheated and delicious recipe. Let’s make Salmon and Avocado Tartar!
This recipe for two calls for: 200g of fresh salmon fillet, 1 ripe avocado, 1 lemon, 15g of spring onion, 15ml of low sodium soy sauce, 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, chives and black pepper.
Let’s get started!
- Keep in mind that because this recipe is fully raw, if you buy fresh salmon, you should freeze it for at least five days beforehand. The day before making the recipe, defrost it in the least cold part of the fridge.
- Once defrosted, remove the skin and any bones from the fillet and cut it into small cubes. Place the pieces of salmon in a bowl with the chopped spring onion, lemon juice, soy sauce, olive oil and chives. Mix well and let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and carefully cut into cubes of the same size as the salmon. Then mix it with the juice of half a lemon, a teaspoon of oil, black pepper and chives.
- Grease the plating ring and assemble the portions. First, place a base layer of avocado, pressing down slightly, but with care to not crush it, and then place the salmon on top.
- To finish it off, garnish the dish with your favourite herbs. And that’s it!
If you’re drawn to this type of cooking and looking for a healthy and clean lifestyle and diet, start introducing raw recipes into your diet, where the focus is on the pureness and freshness of the ingredients. You’ll taste deliciousness in every bite and enjoy the true flavour of food.